Tuesday 14 January 2014

The Dormant Bookworm


An electric current is zapping around my brain, my imagination is buzzing...there may very well be smoke coming from my ears, all because I’m finishing a brilliant book and have rediscovered the Joy of Reading!


Mind you, I have always been a keen reader (the family story goes that the very young, pre-school-age Chrissie was sobbing with grief, storybook in hand, and when asked what on earth was wrong, replied with a wail, “I CAN’T READ!” So yes, I took to reading quite early and quickly), but life gets in the way...for a long time I only had the energy to read children’s bedtime books, magazines and cookbooks. I read a handful of books last year, but it was all rather haphazard and sporadic, even with a really good book on the bedside table.

But over the Christmas holiday I sunk my teeth into this behemoth of a book, The Goldfinch, and devoured it! I have about 50 pages left, and let me say, I’m typing as fast as I can so I can go finish it! (Yes, it’s that consuming; if you’re a fan of Donna Tartt’s other novels, you will not be disappointed!)

I feel so much more alive when I’m reading a good book, my brain feels active, I know at the end of the day, after relaxing with some craft, I can enter a world that keeps my imagination alive. I want to keep the momentum with reading, so to that end, I am joining with Circle of Pine Trees and her inspirational Year in Books.

the Year in Books :: Circle of Pine Trees

Laura at Circle of Pine Trees emphasised that the goal is to ensure that we find time in our busy lives to read, and also to discover and share wonderful books. It’s a brilliant idea – read a book a month, and we don’t all have to read the same book. I can choose anything, or I can see what others are reading and join with them. 

So after The Goldfinch, I have a few novels that are very nearly finished...


The Last Runaway is a new one recommended by a friend...then there are the books that I started when I still had Baby Brain and could barely get my head around The Gruffalo let alone something meatier:


And during those months when life gets in the way, or when I’m just too busy to pick up a novel, I will share a cookbook or craft book, or just read what everyone else is up to.

I am rather happy about all this, the Dormant Bookworm in me is waking!

Chrissie x

24 comments:

  1. I love to read, I always, always have a book with me. I think I would be lost if I didn't have a novel to read. But I don't read magazines, I have no interest in buying or reading a woman's weekly or monthly mag, except for a a Crochet magazine that I subscribe to monthly. I'm glad you have found the joy of reading again and will be interested to see your choice of books.
    Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Chrissie,

    Love the bookworm! And a couple of the books you have shown are ones I've not seen, so am going to look them up - the Paul Murray and Anne Michaels - she sounds familiar, wonder if she has written other books I may have read? I think that's one of the best things of this idea of Laura's, you'll get to see lots of books you may not have otherwise seen.
    Happy reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds great Chrissie. I love to read too. I'm reading Life after Life by Kate Atkinson. It's good but I'm not raving about if just yet.........need to read more.......others have loved it! So we will see. You have intrigued me with Goldfinch : )
    xoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chrissie
    Such a good idea. I re-discovered the heaven of reading a couple of years ago and could not be without a good book now.
    Enjoy the end of your book, I might look that one out and have a read,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see you've joined in too Chrissie ... I have added the Goldfinch to my to read list ... I'm going to love making time for great books again ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love reading, although sometimes I lose my concentration for reading or my time is consumed by work, eating, sleeping and crochet....I am a sucker for paranormal, and just discovered that one of my favourite authors released a book last year and I didn't even know. I love a new book to read and get lost in!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been a terrible reader over the last couple of years, but I really must get back into it! There are lots of people who are following Laura's plan, so there will be lots of reading going on all over the place it seems. Hope that you enjoy your books and have fun getting back into your reading this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful plan, I always try to have a book on the go and have enjoyed linking up Ginny's Yarn along but this is a wondeful idea.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that you are joining in, Chrissie. The Goldfinch is on my to-read list, and I love the idea of sharing a craft or cookery book on a slow reading month! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just started The Goldfinch and already enthralled. Can I also recommend The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt. Its a family saga. Very skilfully crafted and a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read The Children's Book when it was first released - I loved it! Amazing, enthralling, and just so beautifully written - I swear AS Byatt could write a supermarket shopping list and it would be nominated for a Booker...! Thank you for your comment! Cx

      Delete
  11. Good for you, Chrissie! I had a similar renaissance with reading about a year ago. I love to read; I started reading at the age of three, I have a degree in English and was an English teacher! Reading was my main thing in life, really. But when my kids were babies and toddlers, I just couldn't make myself read much. I was too exhausted and felt like my mind was melting most of the time. I decided when my daughter turned four that I would make reading a big part of my life again and I've been pretty successful. I'm so glad you're finding pleasure in reading again too, it really makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a really good idea! I am trying to read more books this year too. I enjoyed The Secret History so I must keep The goldfinch in mind too.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure I've heard of 'The Goldfinch' Chrissie - it's obviously a great read and what a good idea to get with like-minded folks for encouragement and yet not feel pressured to read others' choices of books! I always have a choice of books at my bedside but this past year have spent so much time crafting, the reading side of things has been neglected somewhat and fairly limited to bedtime; but you can't beat a good read so well done you for taking the bull by the horns and getting stuck into it again! Hugs, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been looking for a good book, so I may look into The Goldfinch. I just read a book for my book club that I really disliked, called Someone, thank goodness it was not too long.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:34 am GMT

    I love to read too so I shall be very interested in seeing what you recommend.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh Chrissie, I'm nodding away like the 'church hill dog'! ~ Goodness i totally understand about losing your self in a good old book! I'm gonna check out The Goldfinch too!
    I blogged about midwinter blood, recently over on mine! It filled my night times with 'lucid dreams'...and I couldn't wait to pick it up each evening, when I had a quiet moment or two..
    Wishing you a week with a few dreamy times to enjoy these simple pleasures that make us who with jolly well are...hehe!
    And thank you for kindest words left from each visit...
    Hugs and kisses xxx
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooo I love a good read. I've read the 100 year old man......I enjoyed that novel. Mist give your goldfinch a try xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy reading, this weather is perfect for snuggling down with a good book! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always love to hear about people reading, I'm aiming to read 52 fiction books this year so wish me luck! I remember how frustrating it was being too tired to read when my boys were little. Going to pop over to circle of pine trees now and have a look. XX PS. I've read the Tracy Chevalier one and it's excellent (as is remarkable creatures, also by her)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Chrissie I am with you on the reading and am rediscovering it myself - have checked the pine trees and love it, thank you so much. Have a fab weekend, big hugs
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Chrissie, I'm looking forward to joining in with this as like you it is no pressure and self selected titles. Love your little bookworm.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous2:26 pm GMT

    I read the Goldfinch too! Donna Tartt, please write faster! To wait ten years for her next great book, is too much! I was also so fortunate to go SEE the painting of THE GOLDFINCH! It was on display at the Frick! What an amazing coiincidence! I LOVED the first 2/3 of the book, and could have stopped there. OF course, I finished it but the first parts were the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Lucky you! It was a marvellous book, and of course now I'm dying to see the painting in person...Cx

      Delete