Sunday 23 June 2013

Prettifying the bookshelves

Thank you all for your kind words and commiserations regarding my lack of sleep the other day – Little Flower has since slept much better and, consequently, so have I! And I have something to show for those extra hours of sleep...

Doesn’t the bookcase look *pretty*?!? I am so pleased with how this project has turned out – especially since I’ve never decopauged a piece of furniture before, and because it’s my first time using vintage wallpaper, and I was worried I’d ruin the beautiful patterns!

I was a bit worried about this side bit, the patchwork looked so dramatically different from the plain wood, quite mad really, especially when you compare it to the neutral space of my living room and hall. But hey, this is *my* space, this is where I cook and craft and create, so I am allowed some girlie expression, right?  And I think it all started to come together once I started lightening up that wood with some white paint I found in the garage.

 Most of the time all I’ll see is the front of the shelves, as the door is usually open and blocking the patchwork side.
 
I think the shelves just look so cheery with the pretty wallpaper (thank you Ada!).  

I still have some bits to trim, a touch-up of paint here and there, and a few books are missing, but I was too anxious to show you my ta-dah!  
News on the woodpecker family: young Woody visits regularly morning and evening, eating voraciously; Mama Woodpecker has made a few appearances when Woody takes a break; and today Daddy Woodpecker swooped in for some tea – haven’t seen him in a while! You can just barely see the red feathers on the back of his head

 
He wasn’t being cooperative and turning his back to me so I could photograph the red patch properly – you’d think he’d be a little more grateful for all the bird food fat balls I’m having to purchase! I’d like a family portrait, please!

Chrissie x

 

10 comments:

  1. Hello Chrissie,
    So glad to hear you've had a better sleep. I remember when my daughter was little and the lack of sleep was always very draining. But we wouldn't have them any other way!
    You bookcase looks fab it's worked out amazing what a lovely thing to have in *your* space x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissie,
    I love your bookcase - such a beautiful difference you've made to it - I'm sure you'll enjoy it even if you can't see 'all-of-it' at the one time!
    I have a set of grey shelves that badly need a makeover - fancy a trip to Aussie? Seriously, I should get busy on them ... .... ...
    I'm happy the sleep pattern is back to 'normal' for both of you, it makes the days so much more pleasant doesn't it, after a good night's sleep!
    Enjoy your week Chrissie,
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so pretty, I love the colours you chose :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bookcase looks gorgeous!! You have such a great eye - love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done a fab job Chrissie, I love it! Very colourful and cheerful! We had a woodpecker once, tried to knock a hole in the concrete washing line post, didn't stay for long! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the bookcase!! You have done an amazing job with it, I am sure it will brighten up your room no end. I know I won't want to be anywhere else! Loving the news on woody and yes, what's this for not posing in full, you need to have words my dear :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love the bookcase! It looks really fantastic.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have made a good job of the bookcase, a brill idea. It's really cheerful and sturdy.

    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your wallpapered shelves, very beautiful! You've got me wondering what else I could wallpaper!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Chrissie, just popped over to see your bookcase - it's so pretty! I'm so glad I decided to do my doors, although it still gives me a shock every time I walk in the room!! I am VERY envious of your woodpecker too! XX

    ReplyDelete